Creating company core values is no easy feat. It takes hours, days, months or even (for the real overachievers out there) years to develop the perfect combination of words that defines your organisation’s value set.
Once developed, they are typically rolled out with much fanfare. The company core values are uploaded to “About Us” pages of the website, shared with the team at kick-off meetings and screen-printed on the halls that lead to your Human Resources department. These efforts are all worthy, but the action punch list should not end there.
In fact, your rollout initiative of the company core values has only just begun. Continuous reinforcement of your company core values is the secret sauce that locks down their ultimate success.
Why Reinforcing Company Core Values Is Essential To Their Success:
- Think of it like a sales funnel – Just like marketing your product or service to your customer requires multiple touchpoints to convert the sale, your company core value message needs to be pushed out in multiple formats to gain the buy-in among your workforce.
- Think of it like a training program – A communication plan that gets new employees up to speed quickly ensures alignment as your team grows.
- Think of it like a boost to your recruiting plan – The global workforce is more competitive than ever, and finding top talent is a pervasive challenge for businesses worldwide. Add to that a millennial workforce that seeks out positive culture (even over top pay packages) in the places they work, and you’ve got even more reason to do whatever it takes to get your company core values operating on all cylinders.
- Think of it like a compass – In today’s fast-paced world of business where competitive landscapes morph and customers grow increasingly demanding, your company core value statement is a compass to what your organisation stands for.
A Step By Step Guide To Company Core Value Reinforcement:
- Start at the top. As the owner or C-suite level executive at your company, you likely have little day-to-day interaction with your customer-facing workforce. Their direct managers are the ones that set the tone, motivate them, train them and create their true work environment. Reinforcing your company core values with the management team is mission-critical to success.
- Communicate, communicate and communicate some more. Just like marketing to your customers, your company core values need to be communicated to your internal customers – your employees – on a continuous basis and across multiple mediums. With globally spread-out workforces, contract employees and remote teams, it’s more imperative than ever to use Intranets, mobile apps, virtual meetings, push notifications in addition to traditional channels of communication to reinforce your message.
- Bake your company core values into recruiting and hiring. It seems intuitive that, when adding to your staff, you should be seeking new employees that are already predisposed to fit within your company core value set, but many businesses fail to incorporate these factors into the recruiting and interviewing process. Including the company core values in job descriptions, crafting interview questions around them and even testing skills that support the company core values can help ensure you’re attracting the right type of employee from the start.
- Measure the effectiveness of your company core values. Measurement is the key to keeping your company core values permeating effectively throughout your organisation’s efforts. Without a set of metrics in place, you’ll be relying on hunches and educated guesses which can be skewed or altogether incorrect. Using an HR software tool, you can tap into KPIs such as open rates, engagement rates and even correlate these to other metrics such as productivity, customer satisfaction, employee retention and revenue.
Your company core values are an important part of your organisation’s mission. They define your ethos in the marketplace. They tell your employees, your investors, your customers and your competitors what you stand for. The company core values, however, can become diluted over time – if they are not reinforced and measured. The good news is that technology exists that can help you streamline the process.
StaffCircle’s powerful Human Resources software is the robust tool your business needs to roll out and reinforce your company core values. The tech is accessible via the internet and mobile app, allowing you to stay connected with your non-desk employees, global team and remote workforces. Jam-packed with features to support your company core value reinforcement efforts like visual dashboards, push notifications and an intranet that allows you to share rich content, and more are all reasons to check out a demo of this tool ASAP. Company core values that are not reinforced are doomed to mediocrity…get started today.